Yes! There is a Mystery Club for 2018!
This is fourth year of our popular Mystery Club and once again we have something brand-new and different planned for members.
What is it?
The Bramble Patch Mystery Club combines Mystery Quilt projects, variations of Block-of-the-Month (BOM) and Quilt-Alongs (QAL) with a private Facebook group for sharing, help and interaction with other members and our staff, the Bramble Babes.
What’s the 2018 project?
Our 2018 Mystery Club project is called Jewel Box, and in a new twist, we’ll be offering the same quilt design which can be made by two different methods (and in a choice of colours). Designed by Bramble Babe Fi Bowman, Jewel Box is a traditional quilt using a variety of fabrics and prints in a complex overall pattern that sparkles like the facets of gemstones.
You can choose to sew this 12-month project by hand using English Paper Piecing (EPP), or by rotary cutting and machine piecing. Either way, you’ll end up with a beautiful 81” x 81” quilt made from a variety of co-ordinated fabrics in your own selection from our palette of gemstone colours.
The 2018 Mystery Club kits will be limited in number – there will be just 100 kits available for EPP and 100 for machine piecing – and once they’re gone, they’re gone.
Which colours can I choose?
Choose your Main, Accent and Background colours from the colours shown below. As always, these are just examples of the kind of fabrics you might receive in your kit – you may not receive these exact fabrics!
Main and Accent Colours
(choose 1 colour for your Main fabrics and 1 DIFFERENT colour for your Accent fabrics)
(choose 1 colour for your Background fabrics)
As usual, Alicia Armstrong will take special responsibility for the hand-pieced project while Fi Bowman will take care of the machine-pieced version.
How does it work?
- You purchase a Mystery Club Kit from the available options.
- The Bramble Babes choose a selection of quality fabrics that will make a beautiful quilt in the mystery design – no one else’s quilt will be exactly like yours due to varying fabrics and the choices you make when cutting and stitching.
- You receive a kit full of fabrics to make the quilt top.
- For the hand-pieced EPP project, you also get two pads of gridded paper for cutting your templates.
- You receive information on how to download the instructions and patterns,
- You can also join our Facebook group to ask for help or advice, and share your progress with other members.
- Patterns are released at regular intervals (the exact schedule depends on the project) through the year and you work through the project at your own pace.
- If you like you can also come to our optional Club days at the shop, which are fun social sewing days.
Do I need to be on the internet?
Yes. The Mystery Club is delivered online so you need access to the internet to download your patterns and instructions, ask for help and join in the discussions.
How hard is it? What if I need help?
We provide full downloadable instructions and support via our Facebook group. The hand project using English Paper Piecing is suitable for complete beginners. The machine project requires you to be familiar with basic patchwork techniques like accurate rotary cutting, sewing a 1/4″ seam and stitching blocks together, but there are no advanced techniques, just straight seams!
I can’t get to the shop for Club days – will that matter?
No. The Mystery Club is designed as an online club, so all your patterns, instructions, help and discussion with other members are delivered online. The Club days are simply a social add-on.
What’s in the kit? And will I need anything else?
The 2017 Jewel Box Mystery kits include :
- All the fabrics needed to complete the blocks
- 2 x pad of gridded paper for EPP templates (Jewel Box by Hand Kit only)
- All the patterns and instructions as downloadable pdf files
- Access to the private Bramble Clubs Facebook group
- Invitations to special Bramble Club days at the shop throughout the year
You will also need :
- Sewing haberdashery/notions like needles, thread and scissors
- Access to the internet to download the patterns
Later on, to finish the quilt you’ll need :
- Extra fabric for backing and binding (we’ll tell you how much you’ll need)
- Your choice of wadding/batting
Can I join both projects?
Of course – but be aware that there is a significant amount of sewing involved if you want to complete both! The destination is the same but the two methods will use quite different routes to get there! It would be fun, however, to make quilts in different colour palettes… .
How much does it cost?
Jewel Box by Hand kit : includes fabric (approximately 9.5 m) and gridded paper to make all the blocks and borders for an 81″ x 81″ quilt, plus 12 months of downloadable patterns and instructions; (does not include fabric for backing, binding, or wadding/batting).
- Cost : £195
Jewel Box by Machine kit : includes fabric (approximately 9.5 m) to make all the blocks and borders for an 81″ x 81″ quilt, plus 12 months of downloadable patterns and instructions; (does not include fabric for backing, binding, or wadding/batting).
- Cost : £175
How do I sign up?
Order one of our 2018 Mystery Club Kits to join the Club.
What about the 2017 Club?
2017 Mystery Club Kits are no longer available for purchase.